Greater Palm Springs Pride is a nonprofit community enhancement organization founded to promote the public education and awareness of individual rights and civil liberties of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and to promote the history, diversity and future prosperity of the Greater Palm Springs LGBT community.
The 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization fosters Pride in and respect for the LGBT community locally and globally through its programs which include:
Activism and Awareness
We support LGBT civil rights activism and mentorship of other Pride organizations around the world and promote awareness of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender individuals.
· Palm Springs Pride Parade: The largest equal rights march and diversity celebration in the region.
· Pride Festival: An inclusive and diverse celebration of the community that exemplifies our mission, vision, and values
· Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast: Palm Springs Pride is a lead organizer and fiscal sponsor of this annual coalition building effort. The event seeks to bring together all who support equality and justice to celebrate the memory of this influential civil rights activist.
· Pride Honors Awards: The prestigious Pride Honors are presented annually to individuals in order to recognize and honor their efforts in raising awareness and furthering the causes of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals and their allies.
· Mentorship: Palm Springs Pride recognizes the importance of the Pride movement worldwide by making donations to these organizations and by sharing our experience and skills.
· Grant Funding: Palm Springs Pride provides grants to organizations which directly impact the LGBT communities in the region. Various fundraising vehicles are used to raise and earmark donations to the Pride Fund. Special emphasis is placed on supporting Coachella Valley Youth and Gay-Straight Alliance organizations at the region’s high schools.
· Direct Community Support: Palm Springs Pride directly supports community organizations by providing scholarships, fee waivers, making charitable contributions, and sponsoring various events.
· Partnerships: Palm Springs Pride creates partnerships with organizations enabling them to raise funds in exchange for their involvement in Pride programs.
Supporting Youth in Our Community
· Youth Engagement: Palm Springs Pride is committed to supporting LGBT youth in the Coachella Valley through mentorship, community engagement and by directly funding grassroots programs in support of youth development, team building and anti bullying efforts. Additionally, we create safe and affirming opportunities for youth to participate in activities related to Pride.
We actively collaborate with Safe Schools Desert Cities to connect with youth and provide funding through the Pride Youth Fund.
In 2015, $20,416 was raised to:
Our work is only possible because of the generosity of people like you. Thank you for stepping forward as a leader in the fight to break down the barriers of discrimination, hatred and bullying. Together we will sow the seeds of equality and social justice for all.
2012 – Outstanding Community Service Organization – Greater Palm Springs Pride
2015 – Outstanding Community Service Leader – Ron deHarte, President Palm Springs Pride
(Awarded by Desert Business Association)
The first Pride in Palm Springs was organized thirty years ago. Billed as Sizzle, the LGBT community to come together for an evening of celebration. The Pride organization commemorates the 1969 Stonewall Rebellion on New York City’s Christopher Street by raising awareness for equal rights for all individuals. The 501(c)(3) non-profit organization was incorporated in 1997 and today brings together the skills, talents and vision of our diverse community to produce a variety of programs the Coachella Valley including the Pride parade and two-day festival.
Visibility and Collaboration
Palm Springs Pride represents the interest of the Coachella Valley LGBT community as a member and supporter of the Palm Springs Desert Business Association, Consolidated Associations of Pride, Inc. (CAPI), the International Association of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Coordinators (InterPride), the International Festival and Events Association, the International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA), the Transgender Law Center, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the American Civil Liberties Union, Equality California, the Human Rights Commission and the National Center for Lesbian Rights.